Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The story... Becca's Side

Since Taylor wrote about his side of the story, I figured maybe I should give my side!
To start out, I NEVER in a million years imagined the summer of 2009 turning out the way it has. I, in fact, stated out loud to my best friend that in order to get married, it would have to be this summer or never (for the next two years), thus, implying a miracle. Given the fact that I was in nursing school, I had no time to focus on serious dating relationships because school would consume all of my time and emotions. There was also another problem.. I wasn't dating anyone that I thought could have been a marriage prospect... so I for sure thought it was game over for the next two years... Oh, was I in for a HUGE surprise.

A couple of weeks before Taylor and I met, I went on a photoshoot with Michael Mangum http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Murray-UT/Michael-Mangum-Photography/78241016345?ref=ts. He decided to take me out on one of his first human-subject shoots to test his portrait taking skills. Well, needless to say, he did an amazing job. He posted a couple of pictures on his facebook album. Including this picture:


This picture is where it all began. Taylor commented on this picture saying something along the lines of, "So, Mike... when are you introducing me to Becca... haha" Harmless comment, right? I took it as a compliment from a really cute guy (from what I could see of his profile picture) and that was it.

About an hour later, I got a text from Mike saying "Hey, so did you see that comment from that guy under your picture? What do you think of going out with him?" Well, from what I could see of him I thought he was way cute, so I figured why not? Well, Mike set this whole thing up for a date. A couple of days before, Taylor and I started messaging and getting to know a little bit about each other. This was the first picture I ever saw of Taylor... cute, right?

Fast forward to date night... I have NEVER been that nervous for a date... EVER. I was a jittery mess. I tried on about 80 outfits and couldn't decide on anything. I was running around like a crazy woman. I was painting my toenails and knocked the bottle over... ALL OVER my floor, desk, and area rug. I remember thinking, WHAT is wrong with me? I was hoping to gather some semblance before I actually had to see this guy face to face.

When the doorbell rang, I walked upstairs and could see his face through the window in the door. I couldn't even believe my eyes. It was literally like a dream. He had this incredible smile when I opened the door. I invited him in and went downstairs to get my jacket. "Don't screw up" I remember thinking. We hit it off instantly and went to dinner at Cafe Rio. We probably talked in there for like 2 hours sharing funny stories and realizing we had a lot of commonalities. He could sing! This surprised me most out of anything. I was completely impressed. It kind of started to rain.. He asked me if I minded getting my hair wet. Truthfully, I didn't. I figured if this guy really wanted to like me, he would like me with my hair wet, too. What the heck? So he took me to the base of Ensign peak. It was a muddy hike and as we got to the top it started sprinkling heavier. Regardless, we sat up there for probably another hour and a half and talked overlooking the lights of Salt Lake City. Romantic? Yes. However, I was such a nervous wreck I couldn't even remember what my favorite movie was. I was pretty sure he thought I was an idiot.

We went to his house and played Candy Land. He was giving me what he refers to as "The Candy Land test". A test? On the first date? I was just hoping that whatever this test was, I was passing. Apparently all the test was testing was whether I could make a silly childhood game fun. His mother came downstairs and the first thing she said was.. Oh, she'll pass.

When I got home that night I laid in bed for an hour fretting about how the date went, wondering if he liked me, if he thought I was an idiot, if he would ever ask me out again, if his mom liked me... blah blah blah. I was a nervous wreck but smitten and twitterpated. Obviously, we went on another date, and another, and another.. It didn't take long for us to openly admit we really liked each other and not too much longer to say we loved each other.

It has been an amazing journey. I never thought I would say I could be grateful for Facebook, but I am as silly as it sounds. It ended my 2 year bout of dating mystery and has landed me someone incredible.

I am so excited for our ventures through life, marriage, kids, etc. These will all begin on October 10, 2009 in the Salt Lake Temple! Until then, it's planning like mad and getting ready for the next school year.

I got my miracle...

Suddenly life means so much :)

2 comments:

Matt and Christine said...

Cute story....I'm grateful for facebook too, that's how me and matt started dating.

SHIPP said...

What a fun blog. I am so grateful that you are going to be sister in law. I couldn't think of a more perfect fit for my little bro.